Workshop | Postcards from Paris! A Mixed Media Art Retreat with Kellee Wynne
Postcards from Paris! A Mixed Media Art Retreat
Instructor: Kellee Wynne
Friday afternoon, January 11th through Sunday January 13th 2019
Retreat Fee: $425.00
The Journey begins………Imagine a whole weekend set aside to escape to Paris right from the comfort of the Queen’s Ink in Savage, Maryland! Learn the foundations of mixed media in a playful, relaxed setting. Spend three days learning and painting with Kellee Wynne Conrad. We will create several projects, including postcard art, a mini envelope art journal, architecturally inspired mixed media and even a painting of the Eiffel Tower. We have lots of fun and exciting things in store to make you feel like we are enjoying the sights and sounds of Paris!
Friday January 11th, 1-5pm (classroom opens at noon)
Introductions - let’s put our berets on and get to know each other! As always, any course by Kellee Wynne will start with COLOR, and a bit of color mixing. We will get to know our materials and start preparing our supplies for the weekend’s projects. Can you even wait to get your hands on the vintage postcards? Come to class ready to be transported in time.
Saturday January 12th, 10-4:30
From learning how to build our mail art mini journal to designing a whimsical Eiffel Tower mixed media painting, we will have a full day of experimenting with supplies and learning how to create the foundation of two exceptional projects. Learn how to layer paint and paper and add elements with just the right touch. These techniques will be invaluable to add to your repertoire of skills for your own creative process. Lunch, water, soft drinks and an afternoon snack will be provided.
Saturday January 13th, 6:00-9:00
Champagne and cupcake party! And Chocolates too! What would a weekend in Paris be without laughing and bonding? Sit back and relax with new friends or continue to work on your new projects as desired. Let the evening carry you away from the 21st century and into a timeless moment of play. There will also be a light snack of Savory and sweet Hors d’oeuvres from Renata’s Tasty Bites European Bakery. Yum!
Sunday January 13th, 10-4:30
Back in the “atelier” for more Parisian flair and time to dig into the heart of creative bliss. Kellee Wynne will walk you through important composition and design concepts to help you build a firm foundation in your own art making with a brief introduction to architecture inspired mixed media art, also known as Timeless Arches. Before this day is over you will have enough ideas to help complete your two new mixed media art projects and memories that will last a lifetime. Lunch, water, soft drinks and an afternoon snack will be provided.
For those of you who would like to make this a mini “stay-cation” We have made special arrangements with a new hotel located approximately 2 miles from the shop. The Sleep Inn Columbia Gateway/Jessup, MD. 410-799-7794. They have made a special rate for our guest artists and students of $79.99 any night. (see details below) We have been getting excellent service, and personal attention. The rooms are great (with a microwave and refrigerator.) Sleep Inn also provides a continental breakfast. Call the hotel directly and just tell them you are a student of The Queen’s Ink. Any questions ask for Mrs. Patel or Kristy the two managers.
We still have our corporate rate with the Marriott Courtyard, Annapolis Junction, Maryland. They offer a Queen’s Ink rate of $89.00 for Friday and Saturday nights only.
Student Supply List:
- Art Journal or heavy paper for practice
- Basic set-up supplies (paper towels, palette, baby wipes, apron, etc.)
- Pencils, graphite, charcoal
- A variety of brushes in a range of sizes. Flat size 6, 10 and 12 are especially recommended. (Princeton Catalyst is the teacher’s favorite and available at The Queen’s Ink)
- Gel/Matte Medium
- Collage papers, ephemera, favorite mixed media supplies
- Golden Fluid Acrylic Paints - Primary Cyan or Cobalt Blue, Primary Yellow or Hansa Yellow Medium, Primary Magenta or Quinacridone Magenta, Titan Buff, Van Dyke Brown (4oz or larger.) If you need paint please let us know we are offering the Golden paints at 30% off.
- Professional grade Gesso, like Liquitex
- **Optional - Golden Fluid Paints, other recommended colors: Indian Yellow, Pyrrole or Cadmium Red, Turquoise, Teal, Payne’s Grey, Prussian Blue, Green-Gold, Phthalo Green, Quinacridone Magenta, Permanent Violet Hue, Van Dyke Brown plus any of your other favorite colors.
Queen’s Ink will have most of these items available for purchase. All other supplies will be provided.