Workshop | Fab Florals with Elizabeth St. Hilaire (March 26th-28th)
Instructor: Elizabeth St. Hilaire
Date: March 26th - 28th, 2021 (Friday-Sunday)
Time: 10:00am – 5:00pm
Workshop Fee: $465.00
it to create a compelling, FUN composition. We’ll cover how
to paint your life drawing with a full range of fun, bright colors
and shading. You will then learn how to hand-paint your own
collage papers through a series of gel plate mono printing
techniques in the color palette from your under-painting. Once
you have created your paper palette you’ll follow along and
learn how to rip and glue and apply your papers in a painterly
manner over the top of your underpainting. I’ll cover how to
tear with and without white edges, how to keep your pieces
perfectly flat without cockling, and how to vary your paper
brush marks in size and shape.
• Rice Paper, there are lots of rice papers our there, some are too thin and some will stick to the Gel Plate. You can typically find it in the Chinese brush paintings section of the store. I use a wide variety of rice papers but to be sure you get one that is going to work, I suggest this pad of sketch paper or the same paper on A ROLL
• Variety of found papers, sheet music, maps, hand written notes, your kids’ homework,
old book pages, dry waxed deli paper, old road maps, atlases – variety of thickness and textures. You can do this totally with found papers.
• Decorative papers, papers you purchase at your local art supply store (not scrapbook paper) with fiber, embossing, metallic patterning, iridescent patterning. Please purchase in white or natural if possible, this allows for the most color options when painting.
• NO MAGAZINES or shiny coated printed papers
• Gel Press monprinting Printing Plate 8x10 size with HARD RUBBER BRAYER
• Golden Fluid acrylic paints & White Gesso for under-painting on panel and hand-painting papers -- colors of your choice, keeping in mind the subject matter and your ability to mix color. Small container of white gesso for making some colors lighter and opaque and for filling in negative background space at the final stages.
• Canvas panels economy surface for support. This is mat board covered with pre-primed canvas, NOT stretched canvas, one large format such as 20x24 or 16x20 bigger is easier! (see optional wood panel)
• paint brushes (variety of sizes)
for under-painting and applying glue. OR use what you have on hand. I prefer #8 Princeton Catalyst filbert shaped short handle brush for the glue application.
• Liquitex Gloss Gel Medium, this is the collage glue. Please purchase GLOSS not matte.
• Water Container & Dollar Store vinyl table cloth/shower curtain
for table cover and/or to dry papers on.
• Paper towels for cleanup and brushes,
coated paper plates or palette paper
for paint mixing palette and keeping your surface clean.
• PENCIL AND ERASER, CONTÉ or vine charcoal for drawing your bouquet onto your prepeared surface (wood panel must be pre-gessoed)
• SKETCHBOOK OR LOOSE SHEETS
for drawing your thumbnail compositional sketches.
We will be drawing from life in this project; don’t be scared, it’s going to be FUN and flowers are very forgiving subjects!
• Gallon plastic zip bags
For organizing papers by color to take home
• MIXED MEDIA Tools
Stencils, string, yarn, scraping tools, Q-tips, makeup sponges, etc. For use on the Gel Plate. Anything fun that you may have in your studio that you’d like to experiment with.
CLASSROOM shared supplies:
• For the duration of CLASS Elizabeth will bring a variety of shared stencils, string, masking tools, stamping material, texture plates, crayons, wax candles, etc.
• At the workshop Elizabeth will have a variety of 1oz. Golden Fluid Acrylic Paints, Stencil Girl Stencils, Rubber Moon art stamps, books, aprons, note cards, small origials, etc. Cash, credit, check accepted.